Friday, September 16, 2011

One Last Summer Craft

{The pie tin was handy for catching stray sand.}

After a recent trip Up North to see Grandma and Grandpa, I let Mia collect some sand to go along with her shells (zebra mussels). I had seen this project for a mermaid wand in the FamilyFun Magazine and figured she would love it. We used a skewer in place of a dowel, which I don't necessarily recommend for two reasons: 1) they are sharp, and 2) it's not as long as a dowel. (That said, I had skewers on hand, and it worked fine.) I wasn't sure where the tacky glue was so we used regular Elmer's glue in its place. I also do not recommend this. The sand was falling off (although I am not entirely convinced this wouldn't happen will tacky glue, too), so I ended up throwing it away. Shhh. Don't tell Mia. Here are the actual directions for making the mermaid wand craft. Of course, theirs looks much more professional. This is the 4 year old version.

No comments:

Post a Comment