Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Toilet Paper Tube Reindeer

I wish I could say I came up with this idea myself, but it is from another great garage sale find, Look What You Can Make with Tubes. And yes, this craft book was another quarter that was well spent.


Materials:
  • toilet paper tube
  • twigs/brown pipe cleaner
  • scissors
  • glue
  • tape
  • marker(s)
  • googly eyes
  • pom pom
  • ribbon (optional)
  • jingle bell (optional)
  • construction paper (optional)
Directions:
  1. Cut away four sections from a toilet paper tube to make the reindeer legs. I made our legs about half the length of the tube.
  2. The book suggests to add black construction paper hooves. I colored mine with a black marker. Mia left her reindeer legs plain.
  3. Decorate the reindeer face. We used googly eyes, red pom pom noses, and made mouths using markers. I also added a jingle bell tied around a ribbon (although this was a bit too heavy and made it hard for the reindeer to stand up.) There are lots of different ways you could decorate the face using ribbon, yarn, buttons, beads, construction paper, etc.
  4. Toilet Tube Reindeer by Mia, Age 3 1/2
  5. Add twigs for antlers or use a pipe cleaner. The book suggested punching a hole in either side of the tube to insert the twigs into. I just taped them to the inside of the tube. For Mia's pipe cleaner antlers, I cut a brown pipe cleaner in half, and then cut each half into two sections, one longer than the other. We twisted the shorter pieces around the longer pieces so that each antler has three points. Lastly, we taped the antlers inside the tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment