Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Embracing Change

 "If things never change, there'd be no butterflies."

I read this quote in our church bulletin on Sunday, and it almost brought tears to my eyes. With another school year starting up, and having just completed my first year as a full-time mom, it hit home for me. More and more, I am realizing that all the junk that happened which led to my becoming a stay at home mom (which was never really my plan at all), may have been a blessing in disguise. 

I still get to teach kids all day, they're just my own. And, when you think about it, what I teach my own children matters a whole lot more to me than what I can teach other people's children. I get to be there for all of the moments, big and small, good and bad, that will shape who my children become. 

I am far from being a perfect mom, and although I may be harder on myself than necessary, I feel that this (not being a full-time working mom) is an opportunity for me to become a stronger version of myself. I have more time to work on the relationships that matter the most-- the ones with my family. And I have more time to focus on my own growth-- figuring out what makes me happy and finding a way to add more joy to my day to day life. I found this quote by Josh Billings that I think is apt,
"To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in awhile."

No comments:

Post a Comment