Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Do You Know the Muffin Man?

It seems like I am constantly humming or singing some kids song or nursery rhyme. They play in my mind for hours and sometimes days at a time. Recently, I had "The Grand Old Duke of York" stuck in my head. I think it was the last song we had heard in the car, and then it played on an endless loop in my head until our next car trip. After that I was stuck with "Do You Know the Muffin Man?" for the next day or so. I don't know what it is about these songs that makes them so hard to forget. It could be that they are short or that we listen to them over and over and over. Or maybe there is some weird conspiracy to make parents slowly lose their sanity in an attempt to keep kids reasonably happy during car trips. Lately, Mia won't even let me listen to the radio. She asks to hear a CD. I know I shouldn't always give in to what she wants but sometimes listening to kids CDs is better than listening to a whining child. Plus, if I'm ever on Jeopardy and the category is Nursery Rhymes, I'll clean up since I know that the Muffin Man lives on Drury Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment